Cotidiano de uma brasileira em Paris, comentarios sobre cultura, politica e besteiras em geral. Entre le faible et le fort c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui libère." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Monday, April 26, 2010

MEN URGENT

I hate to interrupt the Rome trip but this is very important -- heh

I finally received Marc-Édouard Nabe's L'homme qui arrêta d'écrire, one of the books I mentioned in previous posts, and that I've been waiting for since 17 March, when I bought it on his website, the only way to get it. My order got um "lost" (but not the payment) Still...

The MEN experience started even before I began to devour his words.

It is a "different" book - no barcode! No editor/publisher on the cover, nothing on the back cover apart from the number 28 -- in pink!I love it.

This man is the first author in the world to own almost all the copyrights to his books- apparently he has managed to buy back 23 out of the (now) 28. By publishing this book himself, without an editor/publisher, he will need to sell fewer copies in order to get the same amount of money he would have done through "traditional" paths, selling far more. He (and all authors in France) get 10% of the price of the book, whereas bookshops get 30%. He financed it by selling his paintings (I don't know those very well...) and keeping it a total secret he was writing, given the book's title (The Man Who Quit Writing). He did write tracts and spread them all over Paris and Marseilles, stuck them to the walls, rogue style! Some of the tracts have since been translated and can be found on the website set up by his readers.

I love what he said in an interview when asked about editors and publishers in general.
He said the current "literary" system has only been in place for a hundred years or so; he went on to ask the interviewer: "can you imagine Hugo asking an editor if he thought it appropriate to cut the Waterloo scene, or whether Valjean should in fact do this or that..." No! I can't imagine it. But I had not thought of it this way before.

And it doesn't bother me that he put himself in the same category with Hugo. He's got the goods. Also...if everyone saw his predecessors as an impediment because of their greatness, what would get done? The Romans wouldn't have built much, after seeing the Pyramids.

1 comment:

Carl Johnson said...

I watched the interview with him you posted on your blog last night. It gave me food for thought, though I think I will probably have to watch it again before I decide what I think. And before that I have to read the book to decide whether I care about what Nabe thinks... So read fast!!! Or I'll have to finish Trollope and then I'm thinking of Proust....

I'm not sure I entirely agree about the publishers- in a world where no-one has an editor how do we decide which books we want to read? (I know there a million stories about books being rejected time and again and becoming classics...)

At least French publishers have managed so far to avoid 'literary agents' and the Kindlething. The agents are clearly at the edge of parasitism and a world where Amazon can provide a digital copy of any book you write and decide to upload to it will deafen us all in the cacophony of competing voices and make the author of every book have to be his own publicist.