Cotidiano de uma brasileira em Paris, comentarios sobre cultura, politica e besteiras em geral. Entre le faible et le fort c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui libère." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Gods and Goddesses Galore

Infine! I had to wait until the very last day in order to see some serious deities! The silver lining of the volcanic eruption (how often does one get to say this?) was that we got an extra day to play. We were supposed to be on our way to the airport at the time we went into the Museo Nazionale Romano. After the Vatican, this was the highlight of the trip for me.

The first one right at the entrance is Minerva. I don't think this is a good one of her though-- there were many more that to me were far more beautiful, but there is something moving in this one. A kind of warmth perhaps? which the other statues, though stupendous, lacked. Obviously the other ones are simply perfect. Here's one of Diana: Sublime. Superior. Splendid. Her brother isn't bad either--though again...this is not the best one of Apollo...but I like it that it has a pitch black background to offset the whiteness of the marble. It gives the statue movement and depth.

As I strolled in this very pleasant museum which was free (exceptionally) and almost empty that day, it was difficult to resist the urge to take 567 photos of 567 floating heads of 567 complete and utter strangers - not that I'm in the habit of having Apollo over for a drink-- Dionysus would be better company anyway -(there is a stool right behind his bottom so one can sit and appreciate it!) but I somehow managed. This proved to be a good strategy. As we made our way to the upper floors things got very interesting. If I had used up all the space in the camera, I probably wouldn't have wanted to delete any of the photos ... which would have annoyed me when I saw "heirm" (her+him as I think of it)-- the hermaphrodite.
I'm fascinated by statues of hermaphrodites and have seen the one in the Louvre many times, but never had my camera with me on those occasions. This is not a very good photo; we were not allowed to turn the flash on but I suspect I'm to blame for the poor quality here ...

My second favourite statue was not of a deity at all but of a boxer! It was very surprising. One can even see the wounds on his nose, forehead and hands from upclose. The expression on his face is magnificent in its humanity. The only times I remember being so impressed with sculptures have been in the Rodin museum. Before going there, I wasn't a big fan of what I used to think were cold, lifeless lumps of stone that wouldn't arouse in me any recognition of human qualities when I saw it. I stood baffled and corrected when I went.

My favourite one in this museum was a statue of Aphrodite/Venus. I don't think I want to make any comments about this one. It exudes beauty.

The third and last floor of the museum is dedicated solely to paintings, murals, and mosaics which I lovelovelove, but... I'm sort of aware that not everyone shares my passion. I might post a couple of mosaic photos sometime soon, on their own, because I think they require special attention.

The final item, signore e signori, is something that melted me because it was a contrast between inanimate objects and life. There is a courtyard in the museum and in it there are many tangerine trees loaded with fruit. A pity no one is allowed there... but I took a photo through the glass just because they're so so gorgeouslovelyfresh: So this is it. After that we went back to the hotel and prepared ourselves for the marathon that coming home turned out to be. Brain full of bellezza. Ciao!

No comments: