Cotidiano de uma brasileira em Paris, comentarios sobre cultura, politica e besteiras em geral. Entre le faible et le fort c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui libère." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Paroisse Saint-Jean




The simplicity with which this church was built suits the denomination practiced in it; it is a Lutheran church. I walk past it about twice a week, and each time I kick myself for not having my camera with me.  So I made a special trip there last weekend, and took a few pics, none of which transcendental, but...


...at least I can turn my back to it and photograph what's in front of it, next to it, around it.  I like, for example, that there is a rosebush to the right of the church (pic above) and that despite the fact it is mid-November, we're graced with two timid flowers. Just two. Why be ostentatious?


According to me, it is harder to succeed at making something simple look, taste, feel, sound, or read, good. To allow sophistication to appear through understated interpretations of whatever one does is not easy.  It requires a kind of control, of knowledge and confidence about one's own abilities-- in this case, the architect.  
Architecture is an art which strikes me as being particularly difficult to couple with sobriety and cool detachment.  Can you imagine, designing something you know will be seen, in a concrete way, by so many people, and will stand among other buildings for centuries, and still be able to control your desire to "Make A Statement" or to impress; to dazzle ppl?  Or in the case of a church, to somehow attempt to persuade God you rilly rilly love him and so will cover the walls with gold?  

I'll give protestant denominations that (excepting Anglicans). In principle, and originally, they weren't out to translate their religious fervour into bejewelled castles.


There is a playground for children to the right of the church, and I sat there for a while, wondering.  I asked myself: "what is this material they put on the ground? it is so soft, I wish I'd had it growing up, my elbows and knees would have been thankful."


Looking at these pics now, I'm thinking I should have taken a pic from the pavement, instead of the church grounds. It is even more striking from a certain distance, and I like how it combines with the buildings on either side.  Maybe for another post...

Also, I wanted to go in but these Lutherans take the service very seriously indeed, and the church opens only before each service.  I'm used to Catholic churches, which stay open pretty much all day everyday, like 7/11.

No comments: