Cotidiano de uma brasileira em Paris, comentarios sobre cultura, politica e besteiras em geral. Entre le faible et le fort c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui libère." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Architectural Chimera

Since we moved to this area of Paris, every time I walk past this building I stop and look at it for a few moments, before moving on to whatever I have to do that day.

The first time I noticed it I couldn't quite tell why it caught my attention so much. So I spent some time considering this building's features and architectural idiosyncrasies.

One of the first things that caught my eye was the Romantic distribution of rooms -- asymmetry. Two windows on the left of the entrance door, one on the right. This puts it squarely, so to speak, in the Romantic era. But does it?

Looking at the door, because I quite like doors and windows anyway...but looking closely, one notices a rather strong Art Nouveau influence. The ironwork on the balconies also show a modified style, perhaps already in the period of transition from Art Nouveau. Yes, this balcony is decidedly not Romantic, but it isn't exactly Art Nouveau either. What is it? I have no clue.

Things become slightly more confusing when one looks further up from this balcony, onto the 3rd or 4th floor. The columns. They're neoclassical in appearance, but the Romantic and Art Nouveau features exclude the possibility this building is neoclassical. Then look. To the right, this rounded window. The only window different from the rest. It's so intriguing, I don't know which period it is, or even if it is from one. I tried (not v hard) to find out who the architect was but, unlike some of the buildings in the city, this one doesn't have the architect's signature anywhere.

Then there are the hints of Renaissance ornaments. The woman's bust above the door, the bullheads under the balcony, the angels or nymphs or whatever they are around the window in the centre and more figures surrounding the higher up windows, coupled with more Art Nouveau-like ironwork on the small, shy parapet.

I don't know what to make of this building but I like it a lot, it's got charm. It blows raspberries at convention while managing to maintain coherence in its confusion. The only problem is there is no focus... there are so many things to look at that one's eyes have nowhere to rest, they keep going everywhere, all the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning. My impressions, rudimentary in overdrive, are thus:
The ground floor window, facing to the right, resembles a bayeux shield from the crusader era with the sword laid upon it. The upper windows too are framed not unlike crosses. The rest, to my non-stylistic eyes, leaves the feeling of gothic. If you look at Roslyn Chapel and then at this place, it has that same aura to it. The doorway even resembles a face of sorts, leaving the impression of entering the mouth of something. Beautiful, intriguing, and skin crawling creepy all at the same time.

Bel said...

Oh I do like "the doorway...resembles a face of sorts, leaving the impression of entering the mouth of something." Fresh description! Now I must find a way to get inside this building and see what that's like. I've a suspicion that it won't be as impressive.