Cotidiano de uma brasileira em Paris, comentarios sobre cultura, politica e besteiras em geral. Entre le faible et le fort c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui libère." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Friday, July 30, 2010

L'après-midi d'un Petit Palais


I always have a lovely time when I go to this museum. It's near me, free, and usually not full of people pushing one aside to take a million photos of a cliché painting or sculpture. There is one Monet in the PP, that's it. No ubiquitous works of art, so I like it because it makes me think and open my eyes and mind to things I haven't been told I must find spectacular.

The place itself alone is worth a visit. There are gorgeous mosaics on the ground level entrance and magnificent, subtle and charming ceilings. It's a place that allows one to roam at one's own pace, it isn't stuffy. It's got an art nouveau feel to it... freeing and delightful.

I was disappointed because they moved the one Delacroix painting they have (had?) and this was the main reason I went there yday. But I enjoyed it.


I love this floor (and this sculpture):



Reflets dans l'eau

There is a professional photo of the Palais reflected in the wee artificial pond in the courtyard garden. I saw it yday and it made me want to take a couple and see how they'd turn out. Not brilliant. I couldn't get enough of the borders of the pond to appear in the photo, which is a pity because it's a most tasteful combination of blues and yellow/orange mosaic. Still, it isn't too bad.






Snail pace

Walking in a museum slowly allows one to see in a different way. Yes, my back starts to hurt if I walk slowly, but I think it would have been a shame to miss this:

How long do you think it'll take this tiny escargot to see everything in the Petit Palais? Good thing it didn't choose the Louvre...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could it be possible that the snail is on another mission? Might it be that it has escaped a horrid death by being broiled in butter sauce to satisfy some sadistic concept of culinary prowess and delicacy, all in the name of culture? Yes, affixed to that column (gothic, corinthian, doric) we are seeing a mollusk's cry of defiance and freedom! No? Lunch then?!?

R P said...

That little snail was just looking for a lovely pan with garlic and butter ...."c'mere baby snail..."