Cotidiano de uma brasileira em Paris, comentarios sobre cultura, politica e besteiras em geral. Entre le faible et le fort c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui libère." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Friday, February 17, 2012

Pairs in Paris






Yknow what I love?  When I'm looking intently at a painting and all of a sudden a sound comes to me. A sound I've heard before and which became familiar over a period of time... and which was waiting for its visual pair.   Or, alternatively, when I'm listening to a piece of music, and an image comes to me. Usually it is an image which comes out of my imagination -- of course prompted by the sounds... that exquisite combination of notes, pitches and rhythm, with more intensity here, less there, silences in all the right places, making one wait just enough, the better to understand what comes next.

This pair came naturally, just now.

I like it.  

The music came first, and now, to my mind, it seems to have been waiting for its visual peer; to me, this:

Jean-Marc Nattier, Thalia, Muse of Comedy, 1739

No comments: