Cotidiano de uma brasileira em Paris, comentarios sobre cultura, politica e besteiras em geral. Entre le faible et le fort c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui libère." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Monday, March 21, 2011

Ogden Nash
The Oyster

"The oyster's a confusing suitor

It's masc., and fem., and even neuter.

But whether husband, pal or wife

It leads a painless sort of life.

I'd like to be an oyster, say,

In August, June, July or May"




According to experts, the oyster

In its shell - or crustacean cloister -

May frequently be

Either he or a she

Or both, if it should be its choice ter.

Berton Braley

3 comments:

Tango3 said...

'Tis I, the bourgeois interloper!! A question more pressing than, "why is there air" crossed my mind late this morning and I was in need to pose it. What is the desire of an odoriferous mollusk when one can eat cake? I'm in a bit of a quandry over this.

Bel said...

Ah! Yes, well! The only reason I can come up with just now is this: the oyster makes it harder for one to like it, to appreciate it; therefore! well.. one's senses are heightened immediately before eating one, while one eats one, and after one eats it. How often does that happen with food?

I only ate one oyster once, but it was a sensation I don't think I'll forget; it required awareness and conscious effort! And the satisfaction following it was substantial.

Tango3 said...

I see. The oyster wishes to make the act of consuming it a challenge . Just for that, we should coat them all in light sweet crude from BP and roast them! Add sand and waves...it'll be a hoot!!