Cotidiano de uma brasileira em Paris, comentarios sobre cultura, politica e besteiras em geral. Entre le faible et le fort c'est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui libère." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Wednesday, March 17, 2010





















Yesterday Evening

We went to a Chopin recital at the Saint Julien-le-Pauvre church, near the Notre-Dame. This is the oldest church in Paris; its main nave dates back to the XII century. Most interesting about this church is the fact it's a Greek Catholic church, something one doesn't see often (outside of Greece, presumably...I don't know because I've not been to Greece.)
It's a charming little nave with reasonably good accoustics and the setting is just perfect for a recital of this kind.
One hiccup: they overheated the place so much that I heard people not wanting to sit nearer the piano because of it. Being used to stupid heat myself, I didn't mind it too much once I removed my coat.

The Recital

Was gorgeous. But of course I wouldn't be happy if I didn't find at least one thing wrong with it, so... She (Junko Okazaki) opened with Ballade op. 23 (v good indeed) then moved on to two waltzes, the first of which was "Minute" and here I thought she went far too fast during the more delicate bits. The second to last piece she played was Berceuse and I was enchanted to hear it, because it was the first time I noticed something: it's jazz! Sacré Chopin! Clearly enunciates the theme, then improvises the rest while maintaining theme consistently with left hand! Obviously it isn't really improvised, but it sounds like it is. I'd probably be shot down in flames and burnt at the stake if a classical music or jazz purist read this but...it's how I heard it. The first encore was Tristesse op. 10 which thoroughly melted me, especially as I wasn't expecting it.

So I was most satisfied and feeling light when I left.

Art's role.

1 comment:

Carl Johnson said...

It was an amazing evening. I really enjoyed it.